Does Hamster Need Water Bath?
If you have a hamster as a pet, you might wonder that hamster is a self-groomer and he keeps himself clean. When your hamster smells bad, you need to clean him, but water bath is not recommended for him. You can help your hamster stay clean with some grooming techniques, sand bath and regular cage cleanliness.
Your hamster loves the sand bath, so provide him sand to roll off. The sand will remove off all dirt. You can buy sand from pet store and put it in a bowl to take your hamster bath.
Hamsters are self-groomer and they keep themselves clean. They are not dirty or smelly pets. You might wonder that hamsters groom themselves after you handle them. Hamsters have scent glands in their hip areas, and they groom themselves by spreading scent of these glands all over their bodies. Especially, when you handle them, they work to remove your scent from their bodies.
How to clean your hamster?
In normal circumstances a hamster never needs a water bath. But if you have noticed, that something is stuck in his fur, and he can’t seem to clean it, then you have to clean that area with damp cloth or pet-friendly wipe.
Use a damp washcloth to clean your hamster. Take warm water and put one or two drops of pets shampoo in it. Rub your hamster with damp cloth in the direction of his fur. Keep water and shampoo away from his face. After that, use a dry towel to wipe your hamster, and remove water and dampness. Put him back to his cage when he is completely dry. Don’t leave him wet or damp, otherwise your hamster will get ill and maybe he faces serious health conditions.
Another best option to clean your hamster is by giving him sand bath/dust bath, because this is a favorite bath of hamsters and they enjoy it a lot. Most of the owners put a bowl filled with sand, in their cages to take bath daily, because it keeps hamsters clean.
If you smell an unpleasant odor from your hamster’s cage, then you need to clean it properly, and don’t need to give water bath to your hamster. Your hamster can become sick with water because he can catch cold very quickly.
Risks of water bathe
There is no need to give a water bath to your hamster because it causes stress to your hamster and it can lead to bad health conditions such as it can wash natural oils of your hamster and he can catch cold. Giving a water bathe to your hamster can seriously harm him. Avoid giving water bathe to your hamster if it is possible and only give him a bath, when there is no other way to clean him.
If something stuck to your hamster’s fur, you try to remove it by giving sand bath, by cutting fur, or cleaning with damp cloth. At the end, if all these methods get failed then you have to give your hamster bath very carefully.
Before giving a bath make sure that your hamster really needs it. You give a bathe if there is any toxic chemical on his fur or something stuck on his coat and that is harmful for him.
How to give a water bath to your hamster?/7 steps to bathing your hamster:
- Don’t give bath to your little cute pet with cold water. Otherwise, they will get ill and it can harm them.
- Fill a bowl with 2 centimeters of warm water. Ensure that water is lukewarm.
- Put your hamster in warm water gently and make sure not to get water on his face.
- Wash the dirty area with water, and if you see that only water will not clean it then you can use pet’s shampoo for it. Use only small amount of unscented pet’s shampoo. Don’t put water or shampoo on your hamster’s face.
- After using shampoo, wash hamster’s fur with warm water. You can use a pet-friendly wipe to clean the dirty are. Completely remove the shampoo.
- Now place your hamster on a towel or dry cloth and dry him gently with other corner of towel or cloth.
- Ensure that your hamster is dry completely and after it put him back in his cage. Keep hamster’s cage in a place that is little warmer and dry. Don’t keep it cold place or area where air draft.
Hamsters are small pets, they need proper care. You have to look after them very carefully and keep them clean. Your healthy and happy hamster will entertain you for long time.