Roborovski Hamsters also known as Desert Hamsters and Robo Dwarf Hamsters. They are the smallest and fastest breed of Dwarf hamsters. They are 2 centimeters long at the time of birth and 4.5 to 5 centimeters when fully grown, and weigh 20-25 grams.
Due to their fast speed, it is said that they can run equal to 4 human marathons in one night.
Origin of Roborovski Hamsters
They are basically originated from deserts of Mongolia, Northern China and Russia. They are discovered by Lt. Roborovsky in 1894 and bear his name.
Roborovski Hamsters in Wild
Robo hamsters also make underground borrows and hibernate in winter. They eat collected food and sleep for long time. In the wild they can make 6 feet deep burrows within semi-arid areas, where little vegetation.
Description of Roborovski Hamsters
They are tiny animals measuring just 2 inches when fully grown and weigh only 20-25grams. Their legs are longer than all other dwarf hamster kinds. They are desert animal so they are adapted to desert circumstances and can save water.
Roborovski Hamsters are very active and social pets. They are different from campbell’s hamsters and winter white hamsters due to their size, lack of dorsal stripe and color.
There are 10 most common color variations of Roborovski hamsters:
- Agouti: This is a natural grayish-brown hamster with white underside their body and white dots over eyes.
- White face: This is same like agouti-colored hamster with a white face.
- Husky: This variation is like white-faced hamster with little more orangey coat compare to the agouti color.
- Mottled or pied: They have the agouti coloring with irregular spots of white over the heads, their bodies and their faces as well.
- Platinum: They have combination of the dominant white face and the husky gene that makes a hamster same like to a white-faced hamster when young, but fade away with age to almost white.
- Head spot: This is a mixture of the main and recessive multi-colored genes that makes a pure white pet with one patch of color on his head.
- White-from-white-faced or dark-eared white: This is a mixture of the dominant white-faced and the husky that creates a white hamster that keeps a greyish undercoat and both ears.
- White-from-pied or pure white: This is a blend of the two pied genes that creates a white hamster.
- Red-eyed: This is a hamster with a chocolate brown undercoat, dark brown eyes, and pale ears.
- Black or blue: These are assumed to be self-colors working like melanistic and its additional dilution to blue that you can already found in other type of hamsters.
Roborovski hamsters are smallest type of all dwarf hamsters that needed proper care and attention. They are very active and social pets, and their housing can affect their activities. For this purpose you should provide them enough space to run, play or create burrows. Robo hamsters are small animal so they can easily escape from the bars of the cage, so try to keep them in glass aquariums instead of cages.
Provide them the best bedding, which is comfortable. The best bedding for hamsters is wood-shavings, Aspen, paper, and corn cob. You can also provide them mixture of chopped hay or Aspen bedding, and sand.
Hamsters also love sand bath, so provide them a bowl with sand-filled to take bath. They keep them clean by taking bath. The water bath is not recommended for hamsters, because he can catch cold which causes to health problems.
Hamsters can groom themselves and they don’t need a lot of care like other pets. They clean them by doing some grooming techniques.
Place a food bowl, water bottle, hideouts, toys and sand bath in the hamster’s house to feel them comfy and happy.
Put your hamster’s cage or aquarium in the place where they can get enough sunlight and air. Hamsters are nocturnal and they sleep at the day time and active in the night. So try to keep their cage away from your bedroom because their activities can disturb you at the night time.
Roborovski Hamsters are omnivores like most of other hamsters. They eat fruits, vegetables, grains, and hamster mix but they also eat small amount of meat and insects.
Don’t feed your hamsters fresh fruits or vegetable at once because they are adapted to desert conditions, so moisture can cause diarrhea. Provide them fresh and clean water daily.
The breeding term is between April and September for Robo hamsters. The pregnancy time is between 20-22 days and they produce three to four litters. The size of litter is between 3-9 and average size is 6.
The weight of litter is 1-2.1 grams at the time of birth and they have no fur. Their incisors and claws are visible. Robo hamster’s eyes, pinnae of the ear and digits are all closed. After the 3-4 days their whiskers become visible and almost after 5 days their first dorsal hairs appear. After six days the digits separate and after eleven days, the body is fully formed. The young Robo hamsters open their eyes after the 14 days.
How to care Robo Hamsters
Here are some tips to take care of your Roborovski Hamsters:
- Provide them the best cage or set best home
- Put suitable bedding in the cage to give them comfort
- Place some toys, exercise wheel for running and hideouts in the cage
- Pick your Robo hamster carefully and gently
- Provide them best quality food including fresh fruits and vegetables
- Place fresh water bottle in the cage
- Trims their nails regularly
- Take them to vet if you feel they are sick
- Provide them hard treats for gnawing or chewing